Vice Admiral of Pakistan Navy Zafar Mahmood Abbasi is going to become new Chief of the Naval Staff of Pakistan. Mahmood Abbasi will succeed Admiral Mohammad Zakaullah. The rpomotion of Zafar Mahmood Abbasi was approved on Tuesday by President of Pakistan Mamnoon Hussain. Mohammad Zakaullah is going to complete his tenure on 6 October 2017.
About Vice Adm Abbasi:
Vice Adm Abbasi had joined the Pakistan Navy in 1978 and was commissioned as lieutenant in 1981 after he completed his graduation from Pakistan Naval Academy. He was also conferred with Sword of Honour. Abbasi has done his initial training at Britannia Royal Naval College at Dartmouth in the United Kingdom.
Abbasi has also attended Royal Australian Naval College in 1989 from where he also became a graduate. He also has done BS and MSc from the National Defence University.
During his career Abbasi has served at various important positions as under:
- Served the force as an executive officer in a Tariq-class destroyer.
- Joined Submarine Branch to be speacialized in underwater warfare in Pakistan.
- Qualified for surface warfare from the United States.
- Handled a role of commandant of the Naval Academy.
- Director-general of the Maritime Security Agency for a term from 2010 until 2011.
- Was commanding officer of the PNS Khaiber for a time period of 2001–03.