Get well compiled information related to Punjab GK with all important facts. This information is useful for everyone who is looking to know about Punjab. After reading you will be able to understand Punjab well. So if you are the one having interest in Punjab or looking for general knowledge of Punjab then you are at right place. The information covered here is about history of Punjab, politics or current affairs of Punjab. So give a reading to this page and improve your GK of Punjab.
Punjab GK for Punjab State Government Exams
This information is not only useful for people who want to know about Punjab but is also important students and candidates who are looking for Punjab state general knowledge to attempt Punjab state government exams. So lets take a look at the information below:
General Information of Punjab
Punjab is the state of India in northern part and is bordered by Pakistan. Earlier it was very big in size but the current Punjab came into existence on November 1, 1966. Here is some important general knowledge of Punjab in terms of its area, population sex ratio, literacy rate and many more in the form of questions and answers
Establishment date of modern Punjab: 1 November, 1966
Q.1 – What is total area of Punjab in Kms square?
Ans:- Total area of Punjab in Kms square id 50362 squares Km. It is 1.54% of total area of India.
Q2. – What is the total population of Punjab?
Ans:- Total population of Punjab is 2,77,04,236 which is 2.28% of total population of India.
Q3:- Longitude and latitude of Punjab?
Ans:-Longitude: 75.857277 DMS Lat: 30° 54′ 3.4740” N
Latitude: 30.900965 DMS Long: 75° 51′ 26.1972” E
Q4:- What is the total forest area in Punjab?
Ans:- Punjab forest area is 6.12% of total its area.
Q5:- Which is the largest forest area in Punjab?
Ans:- Largest Forest Area of Punjab is in Hoshiarpur.
Q6.:- Which is the 2nd Largest Forest Area in Punjab?
Ans:- RupNagar has the 2nd Largest Forest Area in Punjab.
Q7:- Where is 3rd Largest Forest Area of Punjab?
Ans:– Gurdaspur has the third largest forest area of punjab.
Q8:- What is the Population Density of Punjab?
Ans:- Population Density of Punjab is 550 per sq KM
Q9:- Which city of Punjab has highest/Largest Population Density?
Ans:– Ludhiana city has highest/Largest Population Density in Punjab.
Q10:- Which city of Punjab has Smallest Population Density?
Ans:– Muktsar has lowest population density.
Literacy Rate in Punjab
Q11:- What is the Total Literacy Rate of Punjab?
Ans:– Total literacy rate in Punjab is 76.7%. In terms of cities with highest and lowest literacy rate, Hoshiarpur city has maximum literacy rate of 86% whereas Mansa of Punjab has lowest literacy rate of 62.8% in Punjab.
Sex ratio in Punjab
Sex Ratio of Punjab is 893/1000. Hoshiarpur has largest sex ratio in Punjab whereas Bathinda has lowest sex ratio in Punjab.
Q12:- Which is the largest District of Punjab according to population?
Ans– Ludhiana is the largest district as per the population
Q13:- Which is the Smallest District according to population in Punjab?
Ans:– Barnala is the smallest district of Punjab according to population.
Q14:- Largest district according to area in Punjab?
Ans: – Ludhiana is the largest district of Punjab according to area.
Q15:- Which is the Smallest District according to area?
Ans: – Its Mohali district of Punjab that has smallest area.
Maximum Decade Growth of Punjab – Mohali (Another Name – SAS Nagar)
Minimum Decade Growth of Punjab – Nawanshahr (Another Name – SBS Nagar)
Q16:- How many Lok Sabha Seats are in Punjab?
Ans: There are total 13 Lok Sabha Seats from Punjab.
Q17:- How many Rajya Sabha seats are in Punjab?
Ans:- Punjab has 7 Rajya Sabha seats.
Q18:- Vidhan Sabha Seats in Punjab?
Ans:- There are total 117 Vidhan Sabha seats in Punjab.
Q19:- Who was the first speaker of Punjab Vidhan Shaba?
Ans: Kapoor Singh
Q20:- Who was the first CM of Punjab?
Ans:- Gopi Chand Bhargav
Q21:- First governor of Punjab?
Ans:- Chandulal Madhavlal Trivedi
New Punjab means Punjab after 1 November, 1966.
Q22:-Who was the first speaker of Vidhan Shaba of New Punjab?
Ans: Harbans Singh
Q23:- Who was the first CM of New Punjab?
Ans:– Giani Gurmukh Singh
Q24:- Who was the first Governor of New Punjab?
Shortest Time period of Governor of Punjab – Hokeshe Seema
During Operation of Blue Star Governor of Punjab – Bhairab Dutt Pande
Q25:- What is the name of State Bird of Punjab?
Ans:- Gushak (Baaz)
Q26:- Which is the state animal of Punjab?
Ans:– Black Buck (Kala Hiran)
Q27:- Which is the state tree of Punjab
Ans:– Shesham (Tahli)
Q28:- How many wetlands are in Punjab
Ans:– Punjab has three wetlands which are:
- Harike Wetland (Tarantaran)
- Ropar Wetland
- Kanjali (Near Kapurthala)
Q:29: How many Zoological Parks are in Punjab?
Ans: Punjab has five Zoological parks. The names of all five zoological parks with their locations are as below:
- Mahindra Choudhary Zoological Park – District Mohali (Also Known as Chattbir Zoo)
- Tigar Safari – Ludhiana
- Deer Park Bir Moti Bagh – Patiala
- Deear Park – Neelon(Ludhiana)
- Deer Park Bir Talab – Bathinda
Q30:- How many are in Botanical Garden in Punjab?
Ans:- There are five botanical Gardens in Punjab. Names are given as below:
- Baradari Garden – Patiala
- Aam Khas Bagh – Sirhind (Fatehgarh Sahib)
- Kaima Botanic Garden – Kapurthala
- Shalimar Botanic Garden – Kapurthala
- Ram Bagh Botanic Garden – Amritsar
Q31:- List of fairs and festivals of Punjab with location of celebration?
Ans:- Punjab is a state where fairs and festivals are celebrated with full spirit. Below are the names of famous fairs and festivals of Punjab:-
- Maghi Mela – Muktsar
- Rural Olympic – Kila Raipur, Ludhiana
- Fair of Light – Jagraon, Ludhiana
- Jarag Mela – Pail Village, Ludhiana
- Kisan Mela – PAU, Ludhiana
- Chhapar Mela – Ludhiana
- Mela Gadri Babian Da – Desh Bhagat Yadgaar Hall, Jalandhar
- Baba Sodal Mela – Jalandhar
- Harballabh Classical Music Fest – Devi Talab Temple, Jalandhar
- Hola Mohalla – Shri Anandpur Sahib
- Urs of Sheikh Ahmed, Rauza Sarif – Sirhind
- Shaheedi Jor Mela – Sirhind
- Shaikh Farid Fair – Faridkot
- Vaisakhi Fair – Talwandi Sabo, Amritsar
Q32: How many Municipal Corporations are there in Punjab?
Answer: There are total 10 Municipal Corporation of Punjab. The list of all 10 Municipal Corporation of Punjab is as under:
Q33:- How many administrative divisions are in Punjab?
Ans:- Punjab has total 5 administrative divisions as under:
Q34:- Important National Highways of Punjab:-
Ans:- There are total 7 major National Highways of Punjab. Check all these below:
- NH 95 – Kharar To Ferozpur (Via Morinda, Ludhiana, Moga)
- NH 64 – Chandigarh To Dabwali (Via Patiala, Sangrur, Barnala, Bathinda)
- NH 15 – Pathankot To Samakhiali(Gujrat)(Via Ganganagar)
- NH 1 – Delhi To Amritsar
- NH 1A – Jalandhar To Srinagar
- NH 70 – Jalandhar To Mandi (Via Hoshiarpur)
- NH 10 – Fazilka To Delhi
Q35:- List of important Museums in Punjab:-
Ans:- There are many Museums in Punjab but below are the nine important ones:
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum – Amritsar.
- Anglo Sikh War Memorial – Ferozepur
- Sanghol Museum – Fatehgarh Sahib
- Rural Museum – Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana
- Govt. Museum – Hoshiarpur
- Guru Teg Bahadur Museum – Anandpur Sahib.
- Museum of Armory & Chandeliers, Qila Mubarak – Patiala.
- Sports Museum – National Institute of Sports, Patiala
- Art Gallery – Shish Mahal, Patiala
Q36:- List of important forts in Punjab:-
Ans:- Punjab was the favourable place for many kings and rulers. So there are many forts in Punjab. Below is the list of major forts of Punjab:
- Gobindgarh Fort- Amritsar
- Bathinda Fort – Bathinda
- Qila Mubark – Faridkot Fort
- Qila Mubark – Patiala
- Anandpur Sahib Fort – Rupnagar
- Phillaur Fort – Ludhiana
- Shahpur Kandi Fort – Pathankot
Q37:- Archaeological Sites in Punjab:-
- Evidence of Harappan Culture – Ropar or Roopnagar
- Dholbaha – Hoshiarpur
- Sanghol – Fatehgarh Sahib
Q38:- Names of Panj Takhts of Punjab:-
- Akal Takht Sahib – Amritsar (Oldest Takht)
- Takht Sri Damdama Sahib – Talwandi (Guru ki kashi)
- Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib – Anandpur Sahib
- Takht Sri Hazur Sahib – Nanded (Maharastra)
- Takht Sri Patna Sahib – Patna (Bihar)
Q39:- Names of famous Punjabi Qisse with their auhors:
- Heer Ranjha – Waris Shah
- Sohani Mahiwal – Fazal Shah
- Mirza Sahiba – Hafiz Barkhurdar
- Sashi Punnu – Shah Hussian
- Pooran Bhagat – Qadarya
Q40:- All 10 Gurus – Sikh History:-
Ans:- Punjab is a land blessed by ten Sikh Gurus. Below is the GK on all Sikh Guru starting from first Sikh Guru Sh. Guru Nanak Dev Ji to tenth Sikh Guru Sh. Guru Gobind Singh Ji:-
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji – 1469-1539
- Guru Angad Dev Ji – 1504-1539-1552
- Guru Amardas Ji – 1479-1552-1574
- Guru Ram Das Ji – 1534-1574-1581
- Guru Arjun Dev Ji – 1563-1581-1606
- Guru Hargobind ji – 1595-1606-1644
- GuruHar Rai Ji – 1630-1644-1661(Grandson of Guru Hargobind)
- Guru Har krishan Ji – 1656-1661-1664
- Guru Teg Bahadur – 1621-1665-1675
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji – 1666-1675-1708