In a decision taken, Kerala Government gave permission to prisoners to donate their organs to their close relatives. The decision was taken in a meeting chaired by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. However there are some conditions set under only which prisoners can donate the organs which are:
- Along with taking nod from medical board for organ donating, prisoners will also have to get permission from the concerned court, the same which convicted them.
- The prisoners can only donate the organs to their close relatives only.
- The time period for which the prisoner will be hospitalised while donating will be considered as payroll.
- All the hospital expenses have to be borne by the jail department.
- No relaxation in the prison term will be given to prisoner on behalf of organ donation.