21st GST Council meet was held at Hyderabad’s International Convention Centre on 9 September, 2017. This was the first time that the GST Council meeting was held after the filing of GST returns. Meeting was headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and was attended by all state’s finance ministers.
Main points of discussion and decisions taken at the meeting:
- Imposing more tax on luxurious items and products
- Reducing the GST percentage on daily used and some common items like idli& dosa batter, dried tamarind, custard powder and kitchen gas lighter, operation of GSTN (GST Network), tax on khadi and handicraft items etc.
Telangana Government suggestions:
- The state government of Telangana requested to rollback GST from developmental projects that are currently in progress in Telangana.
- Telangana government shown its objection on 12% tax applied on pet projects of state like Mission Bhagiratha and Mission Kakatiya.
- Made request to lower down tax from some of the products such as granite, beedi and 33 such products.
A dinner was organized by Telangana state government for all council members and finance minister at the Falaknuma Palace, in Hyderabad.