Newly constructed committee Economic Advisory Council to Prime Minister (EAC-PM) conducted its first meeting in New Delhi with think tank NITI Ayog. The meeting was chaired by NITI Ayog member Dr. Bibey Debroy.
Take away of EAC-PM meeting:
- The meeting was mainly focused on stock of the current economic, fiscal and monetary policy environment.
- It identified the key issues on which focus in need to be done.
- Major priorities were discussed to boost the economic growth and jobs in the next six months.
- Ten themes were identified which are: Economic Growth, Employment and job creation, fiscal framework, informal sector and integration, public expenditure,monetary policy, institutions of Economic Governance, Patterns of Consumption & Production, Agriculture & Animal Husbandry and Social Sector.
- Theme groups also developed led by its member through consultative processes involving sectoral Ministries, States, experts, institutions, private sector and other key stakeholders.
EAC-PM was constituted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi back in September 2017. It was an independent body whose functions were to give advice to PM on various issues faced by the government which are creating problems in economic growth.